- This project is part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission's statewide total reconstruction initiative, which entails rebuildin sections of the 75-plus-year-old Turnpike.
- The roadway and structures have reached their intended design life and if not reconstructed, will continue to require extensive maintenance, resulting in disruptions to traffic.
- The new roadway design meets current interstate design criteria and will provide a safer and more efficient travel experience for Turnpike customers.
- This section is part of the original 160 mile Turnpike that was opened in 1940. Current traffic volumes and projected growth dictate widening the mainline from 4 lanes to 6 lanes.
- In addition to the proposed improvement benefiting Turnpike customers, the adjacent communities also will receive stormwater improvements and noise mitigation.